Voter Eligibility

The Local Authorities Election Act states: 

(47) (1) A person is eligible to vote in an election held pursuant to this Act if the person

(a) is at least 18 years old,

(b) is a Canadian citizen, and

(c) resides in Alberta and the person’s place of residence is located in the local jurisdiction (ward) on election day.

(2) …… an elector is eligible to vote only at the voting station for the voting subdivision (Ward) in which the elector’s place of residence is located on election day.

Rules of Residence

48 (1) For the purposes of the Local Authorities Election Act, the place of residence is governed by the following rules:

(a) a person may be a resident of only one place at a time for the purposes of voting under this Act;

(a.1) if a person has more than one residence in Alberta, that person shall, in accordance with subsection (1.1), designate one place of residence as the person’s place of residence for the purposes of this Act;

(b) the residence of a person is the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return;

(c) a person does not lose the person’s residence by leaving the person’s home for a temporary purpose;

(d) subject to clause (e), a student who

(i) attends an educational institution within or outside Alberta,

(ii) temporarily rents accommodation for the purpose of attending an educational institution, and

(iii) has family members who are resident in Alberta and with whom the student ordinarily resides when not attending an educational institution is deemed to reside with those family members;

(e) if a person leaves the area with the intention of making the person’s residence elsewhere, the person loses the person’s residence within the area.

(1.1) For the purposes of subsection (1)(a.1), a person shall designate the person’s place of residence in accordance with the following factors in the following order of priority:

(a) the address shown on the person’s driver’s licence or motor vehicle operator’s licence issued by or on behalf of the Government of Alberta or an identification card issued by or on behalf of the Government of Alberta;

(b) the address to which the person’s income tax correspondence is addressed and delivered;

(c) the address to which the person’s mail is addressed and delivered.

Voter Identification

In addition to making a statement (completing and signing the Elector Register), electors who wish to vote in the election will be required to produce proof of identity and current residence.

The MD of Bighorn Bylaw 03/07 states:

(2) In addition to meeting the requirement of s. 53(1) of the Local Authorities Election, Act, a person who attends at a voting station to vote in an election held pursuant to that Act for which the Municipal District of Bighorn is responsible to conduct the election either as the elected authority or pursuant to an agreement with another elected authority must, to be eligible to vote, produce for inspection by a Deputy Returning Officer of the voting station one type of identification, verifying the identity and age of the person seeking to vote, from the following list of documents:

a) Canadian Driver’s or Operator’s Licence;
b) Canadian Passport;
c) Canadian Military Identification;
d) Birth Certificate;
e) Baptismal Certificate;
f) Alberta Personal Health Card;
g) Alberta Identification Card;
h) Certificate of Canadian Citizenship;
i) Veteran Affairs Canada;
j) Old Age Security (OAS) Card;
k) Firearms Licence Possession – Acquisition;
l) Firearms – Possession Only Licence; and
m) Certificate of Indian Status Card.

The following types of verification also meet the standard provincial requirements for one piece of identification. Proof of identity and current residence is required to be able to vote in municipal elections. Any of the following documents that has the voter’s name and address on it will be accepted as valid proof:

  • Identification issued by a Canadian government or agency, whether federal, provincial or local that contains the elector’s name and current address
  • Bank or credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income or property tax assessment notice
  • Insurance policy or coverage card
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Pension plan statement of benefits, contribution or participation
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement
  • Statement of government benefits (i.e. Employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
  • Utility bill (i.e. Telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water)
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate

A letter or form (attestation) confirming that the person lives at the stated address. The letter can be signed prior to the vote by any of the following:

    • authorized representative of a commercial property management company
    • authorized representative of a correctional institution
    • authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve
    • authorized representative of a post-secondary institution
    • authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless
    • authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment center

 If a voter’s identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address, it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable distance to the voting jurisdiction. The address does not have to be in the voting division or ward.

The identification produced must have the voter’s name and address – documentation in a spouse or family member’s name cannot be accepted.