Heritage Resources Committee (HRC)
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
ResponsibilitiesThe Heritage Resources Committee (HRC) advises Council on matters relating to historical resources, and municipal heritage policies and programs; encourages and advocates for the preservation and safeguarding of significant historical structures and sites; investigates and supports ways to document or protect heritage material that is not structural or tied to a specific property; and educates and engages Municipal District of Bighorn residents and other parties regarding the value of remembering and celebrating history, historic structures, places and events, and heritage in general.
ActivitiesActivities of the Heritage Resources Committee include the following:
- The Committee has researched what is necessary to properly store old documents or photographs that would be of heritage value
- The Committee is currently working on an oral history project. Collecting stories from the past and being able to share them is the main focus of the Committee at this time
- A few books which relate to the history of Bighorn and area have been collected in an effort to create a small heritage collection
- Following completion of the Heritage survey, the Committee undertook a heritage inventory that selected 20 sites. During this process, the eligibility, significance and integrity of each building or site was thoroughly evaluated and a statement of significance was prepared
- In partnership with the provinces Municipal Heritage Partnership Program and with consultants Heritage Collaborative Inc., the Committee completed a heritage survey of 100 buildings and sites located within the Municipal District of Bighorn aged 50 years or older
- An investigation has been started with the intention of compiling information from different sources about the old Exshaw cemetery and its preservation
- Photographs were taken when the Olympic Torch came through the Municipal District of Bighorn in 01-2010 as a first step in creating a photographic record of important events as they occur
- The third phase of the provinces Municipal Heritage Partnership Program was to develop a heritage management plan. Donald Luxton and Associates Inc and Catherine C Cole, consultants hired for the project, completed this in 2012