The Municipal District of Bighorn provides grants, to eligible recipients, for various purposes:
- Initiatives / causes / purposes of a broader scope, that will benefit the Municipal District
- Organizations sponsoring special activities of benefit to Municipal District residents as a whole
- Recognized Community Associations / Groups needing funds for recreation, culture, FCSS and facility-related projects
Grant Types and Application Review Processes
Community Service Grant applications for operational and maintenance projects are reviewed by the Community Services Board (CSB) in September each year. The Community Service Grants budget is just over $27,000 so grants may be reduced or prioritised by CSB to fit their annual grant allocation. Recommendations from the CSB are considered by Council as part of the annual budgeting process. Successful and unsuccessful applicants are notified via email soon after the budget is finalised with funds being released in January of the grant year.
Council Discretionary Grants applications for operational and maintenance projects outside the Community Services Grants time frame are submitted to Council through Community Services. The application process for a Council Discretionary Grant may take up to 3 months.
Community Enhancement Grants for capital projects are available year round. Initial discussion of the project is with your Ward Council Member(s), if they support your project a formal application is submitted through Community Services for Council's consideration. These capital projects must be completed within one year.
Final Grant Accounting reports must be submitted for all completed Community Service Grants, Council Discretionary Grants and Community Enhancement Grants.
Give Community Services a call at 403-673-3611 or 403-233-7678 to get more information on our grant application process.
The deadline to apply for 2022 Community Service Grants is Friday August 20, 2021.
Grant Accounting for 2021 Community Service Grants is due Friday, August 13, 2021
- An interim Grant Accounting report is required if your project is not yet completed and your Final 2021 Grant Accounting report is due by January 14, 2022.
- A final report for for all completed Community Service Grants, Council Discretionary Grants and Community Enhancement Grants.
Council Discretionary Grants or Community Enhancement Grants may be available outside the Community Grants time frame. For Community Enhancement Grants, you must contact your Ward Councillor(s) to discuss your project prior to formal application.
Program Policies and Forms
MD Grants Accounting Form (PDF) - a fillable PDF (interim or final) due Friday, August 13, 2021 if you are applying for a 2022 Community Grant.
- Final 2021 Grant Accounting reports are due by January 14, 2022.
Policy CS-8 MD Grant Policy (PDF)
- MD CS-8 Grant Application 2022 (PDF) due Friday, August 20, 2021
- MD CS-8 Grant Application 2021 (PDF) a fillable PDF
- used throughout 2021 for Council Discretionary Grant applications
Policy F-16 Reserve Fund Policy (PDF) - Community Enhancement Program on pages 6-7
- F-16 Grant APPLICATION FORM (PDF) - a fillable PDF for Capital Grant applications to Community Enhancement Program