For After-Hours Emergencies:
Call 403-673-3611 or 403-233-7678 (Calgary direct) and follow the voice prompts.
For information and assistance on primary and secondary highways in your area, call Volker Stevin Highways Division at 888-VSROADS (888-877-6237). Please note, the MD of Bighorn has no authority on Provincial Highways. For more information on Provincial Road Bans see Government of Alberta- Transportation
Electrical Outages and Streetlights:
To request a streetlight repair, please contact Fortis Alberta at 310-WIRE or Fortis Alberta Website.
Overweight/Overdimensional permits can be obtained through the Provincial TRAVIS (Transportation Routing and Vehicle Information System) permitting system or through Roadata Services Ltd.
TRAVIS – Online permits
TRAVIS – Transportation Routing and Vehicle Information System
Or call the Central Permit Office at 1-800-662-7138
Road Data Services
Ph: Service Rigs: 1-888-830-7623
Heavy Hauls: 1-888-444-9288
Drilling Rigs: 1-888-730-3745
Mon to Sun 6:30 am to 8:00 p.m.
After hours available for additional fee
Streets and Roads Bylaw Section VII Subsection (70)
No person shall operate a vehicle in excess of the load limits or the size limits as legislated in the Commercial Vehicle and Weight Regulation, or in contravention of any prohibitions as stated in this or any other MD Bylaw without first obtaining a permit to do so, as issued by the Director or his delegate, subject to such conditions as specified in the permit. (subject to $2,500 fine).
Maximum Bridge Weight Restrictions
Ghost River Bridge (Richards Road) 20/21/23
Fallen Timber Creek Bridge 18/33/48
Road Use Agreements and Pipeline/Utility Crossings:
Please submit a Road Use Application form along with the $500 fee.
Pipeline and Utility Crossings Please submit your project proposal with $500 fee.
Please contact our office at 403-673-3611 or 403-233-7678 (Calgary direct) or email email@example.com
Streets and Roads Bylaw Section 48:
No person shall:
- cause or do any act which causes seed, grain or other materials used in agricultural or commercial production to be deposited on that portion of a highway normally used for vehicular traffic
- cause, or allow to be deposited or disposed of on a highway any substance or object which may be, or is hazardous to a person or vehicle
- cause or do any act which causes grass, hay or straw clippings and/or stalks to be deposited on the portion of a highway normally used for vehicular traffic
- cause or allow oil or any chemical or any liquid to be placed on a road without obtaining permission to do so from the MD
- drain or allow to leak any engine, transmission or other chemical fluids out of a vehicle upon a Street, so that said fluids falls upon the Street
- deposit or dispose of rocks, brush, roots, twigs or branches or any other unwanted debris in a ditch or on any portion of a highway without permission to do so from the MD
- deposit, or in any way cause to be deposited upon any highway, any snow, ice or other material
Alberta Justice Solicitor General –Commercial Vehicle Enforcement
- Ph: 403-652-8659
RCMP Canmore ph: 403-678-5519
RCMP Cochrane ph: 403-932-2213
Contract Maintenance Areas
|Area||Contract held by|
|Bow Corridor: Exshaw, Lac des Arcs, Dead Man's Flats, Harvie Heights||Volker Stevin Highways Ltd.|
|South Ranchlands: Grader Beat West Jumpingpound Area||KJU Contracting|
|Paved- Jamieson, Courville, Richards, Benchlands||Volker Stevin Highways Ltd.|
|Grader Beat- Jamieson Road, Highway 40 areas||KJU Contracting|
|Paved- Burnt Timber||Volker Stevin Highways Ltd.|
|Grader Beat- All north roads||KJU Contracting|
403-673-3611 Ext. 232