Solid Waste Management
The MD operates the waste/recycling system, delivering the materials to Calgary landfills and recycling depots, as appropriate.
- Bow Valley Hamlets, residents have recycling facilities and are able to dispose of garbage in animal proof garbage bins.
- Ranchlands, there are garbage disposal and recycling facilities at the Jamieson Road waste transfer station and at the Ghost waste transfer station. The Ghost waste transfer station is accessible only on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm as it is a secured facility.
- Jumpingpound facility (located on Highway 68 next to the Volker Stevin yard) there are garbage disposal and recycling facilities.
The MD of Bighorn offers a Spring & Fall clean up every year. Please see below for your Hamlet Clean Up Dates
|Location||Clean Up Weekend||Pick Up Dates|
|Dead Man's Flats/|
|May 20 & 21, 2017||May 23, 2017|
|September 2 & 3, 2017||September 5, 2017|
|Harvie Heights||June 17 & 18, 2017||June 19, 2017|
|September 23 & 24, 2017||September 25, 2017|
|Lac Des Arcs||June 10 & 11, 2017||June 12, 2017|
|September 16 & 17, 2017||September 18, 2017|
|Exshaw||June 3 & 4, 2017||June 5, 2017|
|September 30 & October 1, 2017||October 2, 2017|
|Benchlands||May 27 & 28, 2017||May 29, 2017|
|September 9 & 10, 2017||September 11, 2017
Rules for Spring/Fall Clean-up
- Only brush will be picked up.
- Material that is in bags will not be picked up. Please use compost facilities for leaves and grass.
- Other Materials will not be picked up and remain the responsibility of the resident to take to the appropriate recycling, or landfill site. Household garbage goes in the normal waste stream to Calgary.
- No materials may be placed on road sides after midnight on Sunday.
- There is a limit of one load per household. A truck load is considered to be 8′ x 7′ x 4′.
- Material for pick-up should be no longer that 8 feet in length and neatly stacked alongside the roadway in a manner, which does not impede traffic or become a safety concern. Branches and bushes stacked with all the trunks parallel will be easier to pick-up with our Skid Steer.Any brush longer than 8 feet will not be picked up.
- There is no charge for this service.
Hours of Operation: Monday – Saturday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
For more information please call 403-673-2708
MD of Bighorn Hazardous Waste and E-cycle round up 2016
The MD of Bighorn offers a Hazardous Waste & E-Cycle round up every year to have a safe & proper place for disposal of certain items such as:
- Household Cleaners,
- Automotive Products
- Home Improvement Products
- TV’s, VCR’s
- Computer Accessories
The dates for 2016 are as follows-
Jamieson Road and Ghost River Fire Halls
Saturday September 24th, 2016
10:00 am to 2:00 pm
(Items can be dropped off at either of these 2 locations)
Exshaw Fire Hall
Saturday October 1, 2016
10:00 am to 2:00pm
There are hamlet pick-ups on Saturday October 1stas follow’s:
Please have your items at the recycle bins by the appropriate time.
Lac Des Arcs – 10:00 am
Dead Man’s Flats – 11:00 am
Harvie Heights – 12:00 pm (noon)
For more details on acceptable items, please contact the MD of Bighorn’s Utility Department at 403-673-3611