News Flash


Posted on: September 6, 2018

Boards, Committees, Commissions Sign Up


Are you interested in participating on an MD of Bighorn Board, Committee, Commission?

The Municipal Government Act requires all Councils in Alberta to hold an Organizational meeting every year. For rural municipalities such as the M.D. of Bighorn, Organizational meetings are the time at which Councils generally cover a number of administrative housekeeping matters: appointment of Reeves and Deputy Reeves, setting of Council meeting dates and times, and (perhaps most importantly) Councillors are assigned to the various boards/committees/commissions.

It is also at organizational meetings that public representation on the various boards/committees/commissions is established. Applications are reviewed, and decisions made as to who will serve on the various bodies. The M.D.’s Organizational meeting is held in October.

Members of the Public are invited to submit their names to the M.D., if they are interested in participating on a board/committee/commission. Most of the boards/ committees/commissions are advisory bodies, providing

advice and recommendations to Council, although some are autonomous and make decisions on their own (such as the Municipal Planning Commission, the Subdivision/Development Appeal Board, and the Assessment Review Board). 

Time commitment varies: some boards/ committees/commissions meet regularly, on a monthly basis, while some meet only when necessary (at the call of the Chair), or when an issue arises that requires their review.

Some of the boards / committees / commissions have specific and sometimes mandatory- training requirements, that are provided by Provincial staff or other personnel. 

Attendees will be provided per-diems and, if incurred, coverage of expenses (mileage, meals, accommodations).

If you would like more information, please contact the M.D. office at 403-673-3611 (Calgary direct 403-233-7678). 

On line applications can be found on the M.D. website and submitted electronically, alternatively a hard copy application can be printed and filled out. 

Application can be dropped off in person , faxed or submitted electronically to

All applications should be forwarded no later than October 1, 2018.


Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in News

MD Road Crews Working in Jamieson Road Area

Posted on: September 17, 2018

Log Haul - Sibbald Flats

Posted on: April 3, 2018